Monday, July 06, 2009

An Expensive Night In a Beautiful Place

I left Cody, WY this morning hoping to make it well into Yellowstone Park but I ended up in several short storms - one of which had small hail enough to make the ground white. Around 5:30m I stopped at Pahaska Tepee resort, just outside the east entrance of Yellowstone for a bite to eat. I asked how far the first campground was inside the park and was informed it was 27 miles - uphill - against the wind - in questionable weather. So I asked how much it would cost to tent camp for the night and was informed it was not allowed by State Park rules because of grizzly bears. So I had little choice but to spend $127 for a cute little cabin (but without a TV). That is at least 6 nights worth of camping fees. Eeeek! On the bright side, it is a very scenic area and I even got to see a moose cow and 2 calves drinking by the stream. I'll post pictures in the weekly update. Several folks who also ended up here said all the motels in Yellowstone were booked and were over $400 a night - I guess I should count my blessings. But I do think tent camping is allowed in the park - I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

No comments: